Upon arrival at the airport, make sure that you have your Immigration and Customs forms complete. Pass through Immigration and then collect your luggage. Then go through Customs and proceed outside the terminal to the street where the taxi and shuttles pick-up.
EMERGENCY TIP! Ask to borrow a Porters cell phone. Tip them a dollar or two for use of the phone.
It’s about 60 miles from San Jose to Jaco; expect the trip to take an hour and 15 minutes.
- Car rental – A rental car will give you the flexibility to explore outside of Jaco and may also be convenient during the rainy season to get around. Be warned that you may get a low quote on the internet but insurance charges when you arrive may be high. Below are some reputable rental agencies. Click here to See Driving Directions from the SJO San Jose international airport to Jaco Beach Costa Rica.
- Budget Car Rental: www.budget.co.cr
- Economy Rent a Car: www.economyrentacar.com
- Europcar: www.europcar.co.cr
- Alamo: www.alamocostarica.com
- Shared Shuttle – These shuttles typically depart from the airport twice a day in the morning and late afternoon and are shared. Typical cost is between $30 and $40 per person.
- Super Shuttle: http://www.supershuttlecr.com/jaco-shuttle/
- The Costa Rica Shuttle: http://thecostaricashuttle.com/index.php/transportation-from-san-jose-to-jaco-beach-costa-rica
- Private Shuttle – an air conditioned van will be waiting for you at the airport for a cost of about $120 for 4 people. They will typically charge $10 extra per person for over 4 people. I recommend Kevin’s Transfers www.kevinstransfers.com.
- Taxi – A taxi from the airport should cost about $80 to Jaco. Negotiate the price before you get in. Typically the red taxi’s will be cheaper as opposed to the orange ones that work at the airport. If you see a red one driving through the terminal then flag them down. Tell the taxi driver that you are going to “Condominios Las Villas Paraiso – cenquenta metros norte del Beatle Bar en central Playa Jaco. Write down my cell # in case you have any problems 8896-4778 but he shouldn’t have a problem finding the condos. Once in Jaco, taxi’s are readily available and will only cost about $2 to get anywhere in town.
- Public Transportation – the bus is an option but it’s difficult to take public transportation from the airport to Jaco. The reason is because no buses depart from the airport to Jaco. You first have to take a taxi to the bus terminal called the Coca Cola station in downtown San Jose that is about 25 minutes away and that will cost between $15 & $25. Then you have to wait for the bus to Jaco that departs every 2 hours and the Coca Cola station is not the safest place in Costa Rica. Since you will be arriving after dark I would highly recommend that you take a taxi or arrange a private shuttle that will be about $110. When you return to the airport the buses from Jaco drop off at the terminal and the cost is only about $3 so if you are trying to save month then this will be the most affordable route on the way back.